Not sure I will stick with Thursdays as a "theme" day, however I was so excited about my purchase today at Sam's that I am really stuck on Cherries at the moment. Today while I was at Sam's I found Chudley's Cherry Blossoms! Now I will admit the berry kind are my favorite, but when you live in the sticks you will take whatever "blossom" you find. This lead me to think about other cherry items, both "likes" and "dislikes" . So since I LOVE a list I thought I would share them with you:)
Cherry Items I Like/Love:
- Cherry Starburst
- Cherry Blossom scent from Bath & Body (not Japanese Cherry Blossom!)
- Cherry Turnovers (vs Apple Turnovers, but don't worry I will eat either!)
- Black Cherry Juice from Welchs
- Fresh Cherries ( Not sure which type, just not the tart ones )
Cherry Things that I Dislike/Hate:
- Cherry scented CarFreshners (to sickly sweet!)
- Cherry Preserves or Jam (to many chunks)
- Cherry Pie (I don't like all the smooshy cherries)
- Cherry Chapstick (makes me feel 6 years old)
- Chocolate Covered Cherries (need I say more!!)
So I am sure that is not an all inclusive list so feel free to comment and let me know your likes/dislikes in the cherry category.
To round out this post I thought I would finish out with one of the only Cherry recipes I know. My mother in laws "Cherry Ice Box Dessert", she is somewhat famous for this dessert around her part of the country. This reminds me of a combo of 4 Layer Dessert and Cherry Cheesecake. Enjoy!
Goodman Cherry Ice Box Dessert
- 2 sticks margarine (I use butter)
- 2 Pkgs (Bricks) Graham Crackers finely Crushed
- 2 Pkgs Dream Whip (you find this in the baking aisle in box)
- 2-8 oz Pkgs Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Cans Cherry Pie Filling with some of the liquid removed ( I remove a lot of the juice personally)
Beat Margarine (I melt mine) and then mix in Cracker Crumbs. Press in bottom and up sides of 9x13 pan. Prepare Dream Whip according to package. Beat Cream Cheese with sugar in separate bowl. Combine Dream Whip mixture with Cream Cheese mixture. Spread over Graham Cracker Crust, then top with Pie filling. Let set up in Fridge for a couple hours.
P.S. The original recipe called for 3 cans of cherry filling, my MIL said the cans used to be smaller. However I find 2 cans to be plenty!P.S.S. If you can't find Dream Whip you can subtitute Cool Whip. I will tell you though that Dream Whip does give it a little better consistency and changes the flavor slightly.