Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

I'm BAAACK! with a Candy Corn Wreath in Hand;)

I know everyone missed me more than words can say!;) To be honest the time away was REALLY good for me, and got some of my creative juices flowing. So hopefully the posts will be a little more consistent, but no promises!

Onto my real purpose of this post...My Candy Corn Wreath!

Now while I HATE eating those vile little sugary candies, I also smile when I see them because they remind me of my favorite Aunt who adores them. So when I saw this wreath on the cover of a magazine I knew I had to make it in her honor. This little guy turned out to be fairly simple and not very spendy, which are both things I look for in any craft.

Whatcha need is pretty basic: 
  • Any size Styrofoam wreath ( I used 6 inch because I am cheap & lazy)
  • Black duck tape
  • Candy Corns ( I recommend Brachs because they are sturdy and some of the prettiest)
  • Ribbon
  • Hot Glue Gun & several Glue Sticks
  • Paper Plates for Glue Gun drippings & Candy Corn picking
 1) Wrap your wreath in the duck tape. This didn't not look that pretty to me at first, and honestly was rather lumpy. But it didn't end up mattering at all.
2) Heat Glue Gun, and grab a paper plate to pour your Candy Corns onto. All the instructions I read said at this point to lay the candy corns out on your wreath to get a good idea how to fit them on. Again, because I am lazy I just decided on a starting point and figured anything that didn't come out right I could hide with ribbon;) I did however follow the instructions to place the rows opposing each other and that worked out great!
3) Continue to glue candy corns on wreath till it is a full as you want. As you can see from my pic above I originally intended to glue only 4 rows, but since I bought the huge bag of candy corns and it was coming together faster than I thought, I went on to do 6 rows which made it very full:) I only ended up having one row not come out "even", and I bet from the pic you can barely spot it, so I didn't worry.
4) After you have glued all the candies in place, grab your ribbon and make a hanger with a bow. My recommendation here would be to go for wide/thick ribbon. I was again being cheap and bought some pretty decorator ribbon(that is actually black & orange, NOT black & pink like it looks in the pic) that was a buck and the wreath is to heavy for it:( However it LOOKS cute!
So there ya have it. A project that took less than 1/2 an hour, and only cost about $10. Granted I did have some Michael's coupons I used on the wreath and tape, however I easily think you could skip the foam wreath and the duck tape by using a cheaper straw wreath with cute fall looking results. Let me know if you try this and how it turns out. Be back soon with pictures of my Gilly Bean's 8th Birthday!





5 comments:

Angie Lou said...

Yay! Welcome back! I might have to try this; I like candy corn though, so I might not have that full of a wreath! :-)

Rachel said...

I DO love candy corn, and I am highly honored that you made it in my honor (at least I'm assuming I'm the aunt of which you speak :)

I'm so glad you're back. I miss all your creative posts and fun recipes you've tried and write about. Mostly though, I just miss having you live in the same city with me....it was so fun when you were here. Love you!!!

Ramey and Stephanie said...

That is SO cute Robyn! I saw it on the magazines my mom broght me. I also didn't know you had a blog! :) I've been so bad about updating mine. ugh

Kristan L. King said...

I'm making this wreath too...saw it on a magazine cover! Instead of duct tape I was gonna paint the wreath black...thanks for the better suggestion!

Ooohhh, and they now make such cute candy corns at Valentines Day & Christmas...my head is spinning.

Celeste said...

Very cute! That's so simple and cheap and yet makes such a statement! Found you thru COM Monday!

Post a Comment